With the decision for a new doctor squared away, we needed to decided what to do next. My biggest concern (the main reason for the third opinion) was whether or not I should have surgery again. After reading my records she said she did not think it was necessary given the level of endo that was found (level 2), and how recent the surgery was. With that in mind, she gave me three options:
1. Continue doing IUIs. She said that if I have no
desire to do IVF and want to keep trying, I can continue doing IUIs
until they find the right dosage for me.
2. Have surgery. If
something has grown back, it could be impeding the IUIs. Plus, she said
that if I was concerned about having a tip-top pelvis, then this would
be a good option. However, as I mentioned above, she did not think this
was what was the problem.
3. Move onto IVF. As she put it, "If you said to me, I'm
frustrated and I want to try what has the best odds" then she would say,
"Ok, let's do IVF."
She stressed that there was no "wrong" choice, again reiterated
that I was young, and that any of these were a good option. She said if I
was older, she would strongly discourage 1 and 2 and would recommend
I had pretty much decided before we even got there what I wanted.
These injectible cycles have been extremely frustrating to me (losing 2
months at a time, and neither time yielding a "good" crop of eggs).
Plus, I am okay with moving to IVF eventually - so if her recommendation
for continuing doing IUIs is based on a lack of desire to do IVF, then that is not the case for me.
with that in mind, D and I took the plunge and decided that we will do
IVF for our next cycle. She said we can expect retrieval and transfer to be in September.
I have a lot of emotions about this. I am petrified that it will
not work and that I will be more emotionally wrecked afterward. I am
worried if the Big Kahuna of fertility treatments does not work, where
do I turn to next? I am second guessing my decision to switch doctors
because if I am doing IVF next anyway, shouldn't I stick with the better
rated clinic? But most importantly, I am excited to be taking a big
step with a doctor I liked, and possibly have an end date in sight. And that is what is giving
me the strength to move forward. It may be scary, but I think it is the
right decision for me.